FIPPA and its Application to Trillium Health Partners
Some key purposes of the Act are:
- To provide the public a right of access to hospital information subject to limited exemptions; and
- To protect the privacy of individuals with respect to personal information about themselves held by hospitals and to provide individuals with a right of access to that information.
What information is covered by the Act?
Most records in the custody and control of the Hospital are subject to the Act and the great majority of these will be available if requested. Certain types of records, however, are specifically excluded so the Act does not apply to them. A few other types are covered by the Act but exempt from disclosure to protect public concerns, personal privacy, Hospital operations or other important interests.
It is important to note the personal health information and medical records continue to be covered by the
Personal Health Information Protection Act
and cannot be requested under FIPPA. If you would like to request access to your medical records and personal health information, please refer to the
Health Records (Health Information Management)
You can make a formal access request under FIPPA to Trillium Health Partners’s Freedom of Information Office. You can download the request form by clicking on the following link.
. Although you are not required to use the provided form, we recommend that you do so to ensure your request is processed as quickly as possible. Use of the form will enable the Hospital to accept requests both in hard copy and via e-mail.
In order to be considered a complete request under the Act, the following requirements must be met:
- the request is in writing (Request Form
(PDF)): If you do not use the Request Form, please ensure that your written request states that the request is being made under FIPPA;
- the $5 application fee for your written request (cheque, money order or credit card) has been received by the Freedom of Information Office (make cheques and money orders payable to “Trillium Health Partners”). Please do not send cash with your request;
- you have provided sufficient detail to allow an experienced employee of the Hospital, with a reasonable amount of effort, to identify the information/record you are requesting.
Please mail or e-mail all requests for access to information to the attention of the Freedom of Information Office. Staff will contact you if your request is deficient or it needs to clarify the information you are requesting. Staff will need to verify your identity before processing requests for your personal information.
The Hospital is obligated under the Act to provide you with a decision with respect to your request within 30 calendar days from the date your request is received. There are, however, certain circumstances under the Act where the Hospital is permitted to extend the time limit beyond the 30 calendar days. The Freedom of Information Office will, within the time limits permitted by the Act, notify you in writing regarding whether or not your request will be granted.
In addition to the required $5.00 application fee, FIPPA also permits charging fees in relation to processing requests. Depending on the scope and size of your request, a fee may be involved, in which case you will be provided with an estimate and additional information so you can make an informed decision about how to proceed.
The allowable fees are prescribed by
, and are as follows:
- 20 cents per page of photocopying
- $10.00 for each disk
- $30.00 per hour of manual search time
- $30.00 per hour of record preparation
- $60.00 per hour of computer development
If the estimated cost to complete your request is $100 or more, Trillium Health Partners will require a 50 percent deposit before performing further work on your request.
The hospital may waive all or part of the fees related to the costs of processing your request if it is fair and equitable to do so.
All decision made by Trillium Health Partners, including the final decision regarding disclosure, time extensions and fee estimates, may be reviewed by the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario.
For all matters relating to FIPPA at Trillium Health Partners, including access requests and protection of privacy and concerns, please contact:
Freedom of Information Office
Trillium Health Partners
The Credit Valley Hospital
Room 1F648 – Health Information Management
2200 Eglinton Avenue West
Mississauga, ON L5M 2N1
Or by email, at FIPPA@thp.ca